July 30, 2010
Here’s the question: Did you know your kids are more likely to use the garage door when coming and going to school than any other door in the house? That’s right, the garage door has officially become the most used door in the house – meaning “Back to school” is a great time to make sure your “other front door” is working properly.
Like your furnace, and smoke detectors - garage doors require some attention - at least on an annual basis. If you're not sure your door system is working properly take the time to schedule your annual Garage Door Maintenance now. It just may prevent your student from being "locked-out".
PS. While you’re at it, you might consider adding an extra remote or keypad to make it even easier for your student to use the "other front door" when they come home.
July 22, 2010
It's quick, it's easy and doesn't cost much - maybe $50 or so - and it can and will prevent more expensive problems that could also result in one of the above mentioned hospital visits. So, pay me now or pay me later.
July 16, 2010
Consider the following questions when selecting your Garage door company
• Do they have a wide selection of door styles and openers to fit your needs?
• Are they specialists? Are Garage door installations and repair all they do?
• Who will do the work? Are the technicians trained and certified? Are they Company employees or do they hire sub-contractors? Are they members of industry associations like IDA?
• Are they available when you need them or do you adjust to their schedule? Do they work evening and weekends? Do they offer 24/7 emergency services? Will they need multiple trips or just one visit?
• Do they charge extra for emergencies or for evening or weekends appointments? Do they provide multiple options?
• What is the warranty on the Door? Do they offer warranties on parts and labor too? For how long?
• Are they local, licensed, bonded and insured? What is their rating with the BBB?
• Do they offer a variety of brand name products? How environmentally sensitive are they?
• What is the quality of the parts they use?
– What is the “cycle rating” of their springs (quality springs should last 30,000 cycles or more)
– Are Springs powder coated to eliminate rust?
– Are rollers made with ball-bearings or are they plastic?
July 8, 2010
If you find yourself in a situation where the door fails to work, it's worth-while to first, cover the basics.
- Check the see that the power is one in the house. If you find that there is, in fact, power running to the opener, it's time to further evaluate the situation.
- Establish what type of spring system your door uses. There are two types of systems: The first is the extension spring. This type can be quickly and easily identified through the location of the long extension springs which run parallel with the tracks. There are a variety of dangers to consider when it comes to handling high pressure springs, however, by following the manufacturer's instructions and paying close attention to your surroundings, home owners can successfully work on these types.
If your door is operated through the use of a large mounted above the door, it is recommended the repair be left to a trained professional. This type of spring is called a torsion spring. This device is wound very tightly before being bolted into place. Fixing these springs through DIY methods is very dangerous and should not be attempted by inexperienced handymen.
In the event that you are unable to fix the problem, there is a method which will enable entry. If you've ever looked around your garage, chances are you've noticed that little red cord hanging from the ceiling. This is your ticket out... or in, depending on your desired use. Pulling this cable essentially disconnect the door from the opening system. With the door disconnected you should be able to open and shut the door.
If you believe that the issue lies more with a structural problem with the unit or tracks, try your best to figure out who the manufacturer is. You may simply be able to order the pieces which require replacement.
As a general rule, it is recommended to consult the advice of a professional in any cases which appear to be beyond your comprehension level.
If you are looking for garage door repair in the Seattle area, local experts can provide you with excellent and dependable service and also give a warranty on the work done. To know more, visit GarageDoorSeattle.com