Garage Door Maintenance
-Your opener won't work well unless the door is properly adjusted and maintained.
-Start with a visual inspection of all brackets, hinges, fasteners, springs and door tracks.
-If rollers are worn, they should be replaced.
-Bent brackets should be straightened or replaced.
-Make sure all bolts and screws are properly tightened.
- Oil hinges and rollers, but not the tracks. Do not oil plastic rollers. Oil on the tracks will cause dirt accumulation. Use a silicone spray oil.
- If tracks have a buildup of dirt or oil/grease, clean with disc brake cleaner.
To check spring adjustment, make sure the door is fully closed, then pull the release cord or chain to release door from opener.
If the garage door opener is released with the door open, there is the danger that the door will fall. Doors are heavy and a falling door can cause serious injury and damage.
With the operator disconnected, open door halfway. When released, the door should not move more than an inch or two. If it does, springs require adjustment or replacement.
If springs need adjustment, follow manufacturers instructions precisely. Torsion springs are mounted above the door and are very dangerous. Torsion springs should only be adjusted by a professional.
Extension springs should only be adjusted when the door is fully opened to release tension on the springs. Also keep in mind that the bottom spring brackets are under extreme tension when the door is closed, so don't attempt to tighten, or especially loosen these brackets, with the door less than fully open.
If springs need replaced, replace both. Replacing only one spring will cause an improperly operating door. The door should open and close easily and smoothly.
Garage Door Opener Maintenance
- Inspect mounting brackets, cables, fasteners, etc.
- Replace bent or broken parts
- Tighten loose bolts or screws
- Lubricate chain or screw drive
- Perform safety reversing test
- Lay a 2X4 on the floor under the door -Operate door opener - door should reverse when it comes in contact with the obstruction (the 2X4)If it does not reverse, have your door opener adjusted.If you try this yourself, follow manufacturers directions precisely.
Improperly adjusted doors can be very dangerous to small children and pets
If your garage door opener is equipped with a photoelectric beam, placing an obstruction between the sensors should prevent the door closing -Clean the lenses.
Making regular maintenance a habit will give you many years of trouble free operation.
For additional information visit Precision Door.