Garage Doors for Every Taste

April 22, 2014

Garage Door Maintenance tips


The door

Wash and clean your door: Rinse the surface with a garden hose to remove all loose dirt and residue, apply a liquid "Wash 'n Wax car cleaner with a car wash mitt or sponge as you would use for your car, and rinse the surface with a garden hose. Avoid abrasive cleaners, or strong liquid soaps.

 
The use of liquid car wax once a year will revitalize your door, evenly spread a thin layer of wax to avoid wax accumulations in the finish and follow car wax application instructions. If wax accumulations cannot be removed with a cloth, use a soft bristle brush, and gently remove the excess. (Avoid accumulations around window frames and overlays)


Weatherstripping

Most weatherstripping is made of quality P.V.C. and therefore should be cleaned with an all-purpose vinyl cleanser, as you would use on your patio furniture. Lubricate the weatherstripping every three to six months with a silicon-based oil. Do not use petroleum-based oils as this will cause loss of elasticity. Petroleum attacks the rubber and decreases its flexibility.

 
Track, hinges, rollers, springs

Lubricate the tracks, hinges and rollers with a silicone lubricant. This will result in a quieter operation of your door.

6 comments:

  1. I had never thought to lubricate my garage door tracks. My garage door is quite loud, I wonder how much this will help. I love doors that are quiet, especially now that I have a new born. It makes things much easier!

    Alena | http://www.garagedoorofcincy.com/garage-door-installation

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are definitely great things to do to help keep your garage door in good condition. I've been doing most of these for a while and they've really helped. I had to have it professionally repair a few months ago, though. My friend didn't stop fast enough when he pulled in the driveway.
    -Seamus | Garage Door Service

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the post. These are great tips to know about in the future in case something happens to my garage doors. How much does it cost to replace the springs?

    Emily Marshall | Depend-a-Dor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for these tips to make our garage doors maintain and fine for a long time..:) I'll follow this. goldcoastdoorcentre.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need to get some more weather stripping for our garage door, when the wind blows it is as if there is no door at all. Most of the reason we haven't fixed it yet is because we are so busy with work and things. I am just happy it is summer now so it won't be freezing in my garage all day long.
    Cynthia | http://www.dillmanbrothers.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually don't think about maintaining my garage door. I think that it is actually really important. I don't clean my garage door either. I haven't taken the time to really look at it and see how dirty it is, but I should do this.
    Gary Puntman | http://www.woodburngaragedoor.com

    ReplyDelete